When a dish is quick, easy, and healthy, what’s not to love? I threw this chicken dish together with ingredients I had on hand one recent cold day: boneless, skinless chicken thighs, lemons, pre-sliced mushrooms, zatar, and scallions. It was comforting, flavorful, and simple to make. I’ll be making it again!
I call it “Lazy” because that was how I was feeling that day: lazy, but in need of a home-cooked meal nonetheless. In the true spirit of laziness, I snapped a pic of the final recipe with my Blackberry, but then didn’t bother to upload it. Oh well, I forgive myself. I hope you can find in it your hearts to forgive me too
Time saving tip: While your chicken is cooking, you could make your starch and/or salad/veggie side. What I did this time was make a couple of portions of this brown rice couscous to go with the meal. I had some pre-made tabouli on hand, so with a little fresh dressing of lemon and olive oil, the tabouli served as the vegetable side. The dusting of za’atar herbs on top of the finished dish gives the chicken and ‘shrooms a subtle herbal finish.
Lazy Lemon Mushroom Chicken with Za’atar
Time: Start to Finish, 30 Minutes
- Olive oil
- 1 to 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 Lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Scallions, sliced (use kitchen scissors to slice them)
- Zatar for garnish (optional, even though the ingredient is in the title )
1. In a saucepan or Dutch oven, warm up to a tablespoon of the the olive oil over a medium low flame. When the oil is shiny, add in the sliced mushrooms.
2. As the mushrooms cook, make a quick marinade for the chicken. In a ceramic or plastic bowl, toss in a few splashes of olive oil, the zest and juice of the lemon, and salt and pepper to your taste. Add the chicken, turning to coat well. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes as mushrooms cook.
3. As the chicken marinates, turn the mushrooms; let them cook on the other side for 3-5 minutes.
4. Remove mushrooms and set aside. Add chicken to pan, pouring in about half of the marinade. Discard the rest of the marinade. Cook chicken thighs on one side on medium heat, browning, for 3-4 minutes. Flip the thighs and cook on the other side, about 3 minutes more.
5. As the chicken browns on the second side, add in the scallions. Cook for another minute, then add in about half a cup of water. Add in the mushrooms. Cover and reduce heat to low. Let the liquid reduce by about half, about 5 minutes more of cook time.
6. Taste the sauce and add salt and/or pepper if needed.
7. Sprinkle with zatar as a garnish. Serve with side dishes of your choice and enjoy.